Thursday 25 June 2015

Soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies

First post 20th June 2015 Saturday
Edit 11th September 2015 Saturday:





KP bought a microwave oven when our toaster oven was spoilt. I've been meaning to try baking cookies with it. One day I came back from work early (left around 6pm) and we were done with dinner and stuff before 8pm. So I made cookies. 

This recipe I found is really fantastic. It's simple and delicious. I decreased the sugar but it was still a tad too sweet for my taste. The temperature was a total disaster in my case. In the end I tweaked it to 200 deg C for 20 minutes. Pretty sure if it were lower it would be more soft and chewy, but I was impatient by the time the first batch was finally done that I just want to make it quick. 
I thought it was not very good and almost didn't want to document it but a few people said it's nice. So here goes. 
Edit: below is the recipe with less sugar and it still tastes pretty good. I also did it at 180 deg C for 20 min. 
Next time I'll try with oil as substitute for the butter. 

Original recipe from:
http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/32688/the-best-soft-and-chewy-chocolate-chip-cookies.aspx

INGREDIENTS:
Makes 18 big cookies

- 70g castor sugar
- 70g brown sugar
- 125g butter, melted

- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla essence (optional)

- 225g self-raising flour
- 100g chocolate chips

METHOD:
  • Preheat the microwave oven to 200 deg C. 
  • Using a hand mixer blender (I used the Philips brand and the zigzag blade), cream the sugars and the butter together until pale and smooth. Just a minute or so, stop when it's well combined. 




  • Add the egg and vanilla essence, but don't over-mix as it may curdle the mixture.

  • Transfer mixture to a big mixing bowl and add the flour and mix in three batches. You can use the fold in method with a fork. 




  • Fold in the chocolate chips. 
  • The dough should be quite sticky. Place blobs of mixture on the prepared baking trays.
  • Bake in the preheated oven at 180deg C for 20 minutes. 
  • After the time is up, it will be very soft and still a little sticky on the baking sheet. Remove the cookies and place on a wire rack to cool down. It will get harder and the form will set. 

    Next tries:
    - Use 1/2 cup oil with abit of salt instead of butter. 

    Note:
    - Original temp and time in source recipe is 180 deg C for 8 min.

  • 1 comment: