Monday 25 August 2014

Easy eggless alcohol-free Tiramisu

My mom's 79th birthday was approaching and we were going to celebrate it at my brother's house. And this time she requested a homemade instead of store-bought cake! What a surprise, considering my mum is the most fussy food critic I have ever met. She must have been impressed by my chocolate banana cake!
Anyhow I was lazy yet I didn't want to disappoint my mum, so I thought of Tiramisu. As usual The Baking Biatch came to my rescue (or rather I went to her blog for help). Her recipe is so simple and delicious. I made some tweaks cos' I really wanted an easy way out, also made a chocolate version for the kids. Both were good.

 
 
Makes 2 tins, each tin has 4 layers of 6 fingers/layer.
 
 
INGREDIENTS:
 
Coffee: 1.5 cups of coffee, I used 2 Dolce Gusto espresso and 2 Lungo capsules.
5 teaspoons sugar
 
For chocolate version, make hot chocolate:
3 slightly heaped unsweetened Hershey's cocoa powder
3 tablespoons sugar
Dash of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 small scoop of milk powder (because I had no milk)
Roughly 1.25 cup water (or replace 1/3 of it with milk) 
 
Cream mixture:
500g mascarpone cheese
4 tablespoons whipping cream
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons vanilla paste
 
Others:
48 Savoiardi lady finger biscuits
Roughly 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
 
HOW:
 
1) Brew the coffee using the Dolce Gusto machine. Add sugar. Pour into plate that is big enough for dipping.

2) Put all ingredients of the cream mixture into a bowl. Mix with spatula till well combined.

3) Line your tin with cling wrap with excess on each side if you want to remove it later. If not then use a cake ring (with no base).

4) Dip a biscuit into the coffee and turn to the other side then remove swiftly to put into tin. Repeat till you complete one layer.

5) Spread one layer of cream mixture. Not too thick as this amount of cream is not sufficient for thick layers. Else settle for just 3 layers of biscuits.

6) Sift cocoa powder on top of the cream.

7) Repeat steps 4-6 three times.

8) Cover the top with cling wrap and chill in fridge for at least 6 hours, preferably overnight.

9) Before serving, remove by holding the cling wrap excess or remove cake ring.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment