Saturday 2 August 2014

Gula Melaka steamed cupcake

My friend Jesline generously shared this recipe with me about a year ago but I never got down to making it. After I wet and spoilt my handphone I had a sudden craving for it and had to ask for the recipe again. How ironic. Anyhow her recipe is really fantastic, so easy and delicious!
Texture is really like huat kueh, so don't expect cupcake texture.
  

 
Makes 7 silicon cups.
 
INGREDIENTS, so wonderfully little!:
Self-raising flour 2.5 cups
Gula Melaka 230g (can reduce to be less sweet)
Water 370ml
 
HOW:
1) Melt the gula melaka in the water over the stove. Use low heat. Remove from stove and cool.
If you have the time, let it cool completely. If not then the flour will be lumpy and not fully mixed, but seems to be no biggy from my first try...
 
2) Add (1) to flour and mix till combined. Do not overmix.
 
3) Steam over high heat (cos' you want them to huat!) for 20min.



Note: in case this thought ever crossed your mind, you CANNOT freeze huat kueh batter. It doesn't huat and you get some hard flat kueh that you don't want to eat. So if you are in a hurry and don't have time to steam your second batch, just make super big sizes in your first batch to finish up all the batter! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment